I always get really dissapointed when I go to a cafe or a restaurant , order a cup of tea and get presented with a cup , a teabag, and some hot water. I always specify that I want a pot of tea made for me when I place my order so this does not happen.
Seriously if I wanted to make a cup of tea myself I'd stay at home and ensure I got a cup of tea that I really enjoy.
And heres how I make that perfect cup of tea:
- Select a good quality loose teaf black tea that has been stored and handled with care.
- Bring fresh water to the boil . Do not re-use water that has been boiled previously.
- Filter your water before use if it is not quite as fresh as it could be.
- Rinse a porcelain or stainless steel teapot with hot water to warm the pot.
- Add one teaspoon of loose leaf tea per person to be served plus one for the pot e.g. if you are brewing a 2 cup pot then add three teaspoons of good quality tea.
- Pour freshly boiled water inte the pot.
- Allow the tea to steep for the time recommended on the pack ( typically 3 -5 minutes ).
- Serve straight away into warmed porcelain cups.
- Add milk to taste if desired.
- Sit back relax and enjoy.
Home made hot chocolate mix
A mug of hot chocolate is a delicious way to treat yourself or to share a moment with loved ones. There is no substitute for real hot chocolate made from scratch with milk and chocolate but there are many commercially available 'hot chocolate' mixes which make a delicious drink quickly and easily when you just want to relax.
This recipe shows you how to make your own delicious version of an instant hot chocolate mix at home from ingredients which are probably already in your pantry. Our recipe has the advantage of being much cheaper than commercially available products and you can adjust it to suit your own taste if you like.
Yield: 2lb or 1 kg of Mix ( approximately 40 serves )
- 3 cups ( 600g ) Caster sugar
- 2 Cups ( 200g) Cocoa powder
- 2 Cups ( 200g) Milk powder
- 1 tablespoon ( 20g) Salt
- Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl. Store in an airtight container.
- To serve add one tablespoon of hot chocolate mix to hot water or milk and stir well